As an industrial, what qualities would you look for when searching for the right lubricant supplier especially if you own a company with large fleets of turbines, centrifugal compressors, gearboxes, hydraulic systems, lubrication systems?
Lubrication management plays an important role and the different lubricant suppliers offer varied services which can be confusing. Some provide full service while others are restricted to a specific niche. However, there are many features that differentiate each lubricant supplier which is why it is important to recognize the needs of your business with the right supplier.
Before selecting a provider, you should first consider if you wish to purchase lubricants only or with added services. If you are only thinking of buying lubricants, then you should not be paying extra for services that you don’t require such as oil analysis and/or technical support. Before making any deal, always make sure to analyze the package you are getting and take no more or less than you actually need for the project.
Often consumers don’t avail the added lubricant services. This is usually as a result of misunderstanding between the supplier and the customer or the lack of execution by the supplier. It has also been commonly observed that the consumer is unaware of the added benefits his or her company is getting with the purchase of lubricants.
Here are 10 simple steps which are helpful in guiding you to select a lubricant supplier.
- Create a team of stakeholders and technical advisors for assistance.
- Communicate with each of them and share objectives on the selection process.
- Come up with criteria for the selection.
- Review the criteria
- Ask each stakeholder to private rate the criteria list using a value scale. However, no discussion about the value or the importance of the criteria should be initiated. A secret ballot system is helpful in keeping confidentiality.
- Ask the facilitators to gather the information from each vote.
- A secret ballot is can be again initiated to give the team members a chance for re-vote.
- The results are presented in front of the group.
- An open discussion is initiated in the group to discuss the chosen criteria.
- Accept the criteria chosen by the gathered group. Proceed with the evaluation of the lubricant supplier by interview each candidate separately, studying their proposals thoroughly, and reviewing their references.
The above-mentioned steps will come handy in choosing the right lubricant supplier for your company. Do let us know how the process went for your company in the comments below!